Monday, January 09, 2006

The Cat of the Rings

Dear New Zealand,

THE V3 watched some of the "Lord Of The Rings" films this weekend. We were dismayed that there were no cats depicted. The only remotely cat-like creatures were the Goblin mounts - called "Wargs" - which had a vaguely cat/hyaena/bear look to them and the villainous Gollum, who sports large bluish eyes not entirely unlike my own. As I recall, the Wargs were depicted as more distinctly canine in the original text of "The Lord Of The Rings" and this suggestion of cat-like qualities was a deliberate distortion on the part of the filmmakers.

We find it difficult to believe that there were no cats in Middle Earth. Certainly Rivendell must have been home to a cat or two. And you can't tell me that the ruins of Osgiliath, which must be seething with rats, did not shelter the odd alley puss.

We feel the film's treatment of cats - who almost certainly fought in the Second War for Middle Earth - is expressive of an underlying - perhaps unconscious, we are willing to concede - prejudice against the feline element.

It is this deliberate distortion of Cat History by HUMAN storytellers that is symptomatic of the darkness The V3 have sworn to resist.

Respectfully,

Vladia Velocicat, Freedom Fighter/Disco Dancer

5 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, January 14, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sirs:

Undoubtedly a disgussting example of a lack of "cat fancying" if you know what I mean. But what about the underground monster guys who used to be elves? forgive me, my LOTR terminology escapes me. Their mouths are a little kitty-ish. Even if this is true though still not much there about the cats.

also allow me to draw your attention to the sites www.katt.nu and www.katter.nu.

i have to go twine myself around some parked cars now, and loiter in the street. goodbye.

 
At 3:21 AM, January 24, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all: thank you very much for featuring my art :-D

There are cats mentioned in Middle Earth lore, since a retinue of cats served as spies for a queen of Gondor, if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately that particular tidbit is mentioned in Tolkien's posthumous works, "Silmarillion" or "Unfinished Tales", so it misses mention to the general public.

 
At 7:18 PM, January 24, 2006 , Blogger Cheop The Cat said...

Thanks YOU for the use of your fine artwork.

We are using it in several of our more important military exercises.

 
At 10:25 PM, January 24, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD it's another commentator! Thought I had the monopoly here. nice art!

 
At 10:11 AM, January 29, 2006 , Blogger Cheop The Cat said...

There are millions of us out there. Or out HERE? I'm not sure. Anyway, there are MILLIONS. And we are ready, and we are prepared, and we are well prepared. And one day we will rise as one - with me as the leader, perhaps, and conquer the dreaded HUMAN scourge!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home